Archives



entriesaboutwhat am i reading?blogs i love!my rating scale

Monday, August 16, 2010
Revealers-Amanda Marrone @ 12:39 PM

Summary:

Witchin' ain't easy.

Jules has a rebellious streak, a massive crush on Connor, and the abilities of a Revealer witch. By day, she and her coven friends seem like typical high school seniors. By night, they have the power to make werewolves, vampires, and ghosts reveal themselves, so they can destroy them. It's not exactly cheerleading, but at least the girls know they're doing the world some good.

One by one, Jules's friends turn eighteen and are initiated into the coven's inner circle. And one by one, they are getting completely freaked out. Jules is the youngest, and though her friends are too scared tell her what's going on, something's clearly not right. As her birthday approaches, Jules realizes she's got to find out what's behind the shadows of her coven before it's too late to save her friends...and herself. But what she discovers may be too powerful for even the toughest witches to defeat.

Review:

Description in one word: Confusing

When I first picked up this book, I was really excited to read it. But, Revealers was certainly not what I thought it would be. I expected a thrilling and unique novel, but instead what I got was puzzling and far-fetched. In my opinion, I almost think there was too much thinking that went into this story, and Marrone made it too complicated. Revealers is the sotyr of Jules, a seventeen-year-old Revealer witch. As a Revealer, Jules and her friends have the ability to reveal and terminate other supernatural creatures (vampires, werewolves, demons, etc.) But when each of the girls turns eighteen, they learn something that completely wigs them out. Jules knows that something's up, and needs to get to the bottom of things before it's too late.

Although the characters in this book were particularly well written, their relationships certainly could've been developed more. For example, Jules and Connor; throughout the book, the relationship seemed completely . . . sexual. It didn't feel like there was anything else going on between them . . . I just didn't feel the chemistry.I really couldn't relate to any of the characters in this book. I just couldn't feel any connection; it almost seemed as if the writing was forced. I must admit that I liked how Jules and her friends weren't perfect like in other books I've read; they fought and had their disagreements. Things weren't always perfect.

The plot of this book, though predictable at times, was pretty well-written. Some parts were particularly confusing, and I had to go back in the book to figure out what was going on . . . a few times, actually. I did like how Marrone included all types of supernatural figures, and not just one or two.

Revealers was a creatively written novel, which I enjoyed, but it was quite puzzling at times and the writing seemed quite far-fetched, even for a sci-fi/fantasy. Overall, it was a fun coming-of-age novel with a fun twist. I would still give this book a try, but only if you're willing to deal with it's imperfections.

Rating: 7-Good, read if you read a lot.