Archives



entriesaboutwhat am i reading?blogs i love!my rating scale

Tuesday, August 10, 2010
THE HUNGER GAMES-Suzanne Collins @ 8:38 AM

Summary:

Could you survive on your own, in the wild, with every one out to make sure you don't live to see the morning?

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

Review:

Description in one word: OHMYGOODNESS-WOOWW

I was SO excited when I won this book in a contest from Arielle at
B.A.M. Book Reviews. I pushed it to the TOP of my reading list, and I certainly do not regret it. The Hunger Games was magnificent, thrilling, wonderful, alluring, fantastic, enthralling, awesome, addicting, phenomenal (I say that word too much), fabulous amazing, marvelous, extraordinary, absolutely incredible and whatever other adjective to spectacular you can think of.

Suzanne Collins did GREAT job writing the story of Katniss Everdeen, a sixteen-year-old girl who lives in a word previously known as North America. Now it is known as the nation of Panem, and the Capitol rules over the twelve districts that surround it. Katniss lives in District 12, which is pretty much the joke of all the districts. The Capitol forces each district to randomly choose one boy and one girl ages 12-18 to participate in the Hunger Games, an annual competition in which the 24 tributes fight to the death and struggle to stay alive. Katniss is in for a surprise when Prim, her twelve-year-old sister, is chosen to partake, and Katniss volunteers to take her place. Collin goes on to tell of Katniss' adventures throughout the Hunger Gamess, and had me reeled in and on the edge of my chair since the first few pages.

I absolutely loved the characters in this book. Katniss was everything a girl longs to be; she is smart, determined, cunning, strong, driven, clever, and has that fire inside her that everyone wants to have. She develops SO much throughout the Games, and as much as I loved her before the games, I loved her so much more during the competition. I could not help but find even more admiration and respect for her. I admired her for building a strong character and developing a sense of independence due to her rough living conditions back home. Her complicated adventure through romance was also a fantastic addition to the story.

There were so many characters to be admired besides Katniss; among them being Peeta, Gale, Haymitch, Cinna, and Rue. Peeta was so loveable and adorable. He is the kind of boy I would bring home to my parents someday. He brings out the best in Katniss, and I just love that. Gale . . . oh goodness, Gale. The little bit I read about Gale, I just fell in love with the guy! Haymitch had me confused at times during the book, but was admirable in the end. Cinna had me loving him from the start; such a sweetie! Oh, and Foxface was another; I admired her slyness and cleverness! And finally, Rue. Oh, little Rue, you make my heart smile :) So sweet and innocent!

The plot was completely new to me; I have never heard of anything like it, and if I ever do, I get the feeling that it won't live up to The Hunger Games. I enjoyed how Collins described Katniss' home (District 12) and the arena, so we had an idea of where she came from.

I could certainly go on for days . . . weeks . . . MONTHS even, about how great this book is, but I still couldn't even begin to fathom how much I love it, and what a terrific book it really is. I CANNOT wait to get Catching Fire, the next book in the series, because I have heard nothing but good things about that one as well. I recommend this book to ANYONE looking for a remarkable read; I have NOTHING bad to say about this book. It is absolutely tremendous, and I could read it over and over and over again! :)

If you have read The Hunger Games, leave me a comment below telling me what you thought!

Rating: 10-A truly AMAZING read; one of my all time favorites! I would recommend it to ANYBODY in a heartbeat :) AND SO MUCH MORE! I would rate it at 20+ :]

P.S. Sorry for the length! If you took the time to read this, thank you very much! :D