Archives



entriesaboutwhat am i reading?blogs i love!my rating scale

Tuesday, December 16, 2008
My Sister's Keeper-Jodi Picoult @ 6:14 AM


Can a parent love too much? Or is too much never enough?

Synopsis (from back of book):

Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate-a life and role that she has never challenged...until now. Like most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister-and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable, a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves. A provocative novel that raises some important ethical issues, My Sister's Keeper is the story of one family's struggle for survival at all human costs and a stunning moral parable for all time.

Review:

Description in one word: AMAZING.

I was recommended this book by several people, and I heard that it was really good, and I DEFINITELY agree. It brings up serious ethical issues that really shouldn't be ignored at any costs. It's one of the most realistic fiction books that I've ever read. What Brian, Sara, Jesse, Kate, and Anna Fitzgerald go through is very tragic, and I know that this sounds corny, but I felt so much what they were feeling, that at one point while reading the book I started crying.

My Sister's Keeper was most definitely a clever idea for a book. There may not have been any case extremely alike in real life, but I know that there has been some that are remotely similar, and after reading this book, I had an idea of how the family felt. This book brings up how a donor that is not in control of her medical decisions takes on the real world to free herself from her parents' grasp.

Jodi Picoult did a wonderful job writing a novel about a sibling relationship, and how far somebody will go to keep the other alive, no matter the circumstances.

I would recommend this book to ANYBODY looking for a good read.

Rating: and MORE!

~Kaylee.